- Inferior to in status or rank: nine officers under me at headquarters.
- Subject to the authority, rule, or control of: under a dictatorship.
- Subject to the supervision, instruction, or influence of: under parental guidance.
- Undergoing or receiving the effects of: under constant care.
- Subject to the restraint or obligation of: under contract.
- In the process of: under discussion.
- In view of; because of: under these conditions.
- With the authorization of: under the monarch's seal.
- During the time conventionally assigned to (a sign of the zodiac): born under Aries.
- In or into a subordinate or inferior condition or position.
- Lower in rank, power, or authority; subordinate.
- Less than is required or customary: an under dose of medication.