- The pursuit of knowledge, as by reading, observation, or research.
- A branch or department of learning: graduate studies.
- A literary work on a particular subject.
- A preliminary sketch, as for a work of art or literature.
- Music A composition intended as a technical exercise.
- A state of mental absorption: She is in a deep study.
- To apply one's mind purposefully to the acquisition of knowledge or understanding of (a subject).
- To read carefully.
- To memorize.
- To take (a course) at a school.
- To inquire into; investigate.
- To examine closely; scrutinize.
- To give careful thought to; contemplate: study the next move.
- To apply oneself to learning, especially by reading.