Definitions — English
- The striking of a bell or gong.
- A sudden loss of brain function caused by a blockage or rupture of a blood vessel to the brain, characterized by loss of muscular control, diminution or loss of sensation or consciousness, dizziness, slurred speech, or other symptoms that vary with the extent and severity of the damage to the brain. Also called cerebral accident, cerebrovascular accident.
- A single uninterrupted movement, especially when repeated or in a back-and-forth motion: the stroke of a pendulum.
- The manner or rate of executing such a movement: My favorite stroke is butterfly. She had a very rapid stroke.
- Nautical The rower who sits nearest the coxswain or the stern and sets the tempo for the other rowers.
- Sports A movement of the upper torso and arms for the purpose of striking a ball, as in golf or tennis.
- The act of making such a mark.
- Nautical To set the pace for (a rowing crew).