Definitions — English
- To keep from being damaged, attacked, stolen, or injured; guard. See Synonyms at defend.
- To help (domestic industry) with tariffs or quotas on imported goods.
- To assure payment of (drafts or notes, for example) by setting aside funds.
- Sports To attempt to hold (a lead) by playing careful defense and avoiding risky plays.
- Baseball To swing at a pitch near (home plate) in order to avoid being called out on strikes.
- Baseball To swing at a pitch so as to give (a base runner) a better chance of advancing.