Definitions — English
- Movement or variation characterized by the regular recurrence or alternation of different quantities or conditions: the rhythm of the tides.
- Music A specific kind of such a pattern, formed by a series of notes differing in duration and stress: a waltz rhythm.
- The pattern or flow of sound created by the arrangement of stressed and unstressed syllables in accentual verse or of long and short syllables in quantitative verse.
- The sense of temporal development created in a work of literature or a film by the arrangement of formal elements such as the length of scenes, the nature and amount of dialogue, or the repetition of motifs.
- A regular or harmonious pattern created by lines, forms, and colors in painting, sculpture, and other visual arts.
- The pattern of development produced in a literary or dramatic work by repetition of elements such as words, phrases, incidents, themes, images, and symbols.
- Procedure or routine characterized by regularly recurring elements, activities, or factors: the rhythm of civilization; the rhythm of the lengthy negotiations.