- Significance in a specified context: Her speeches have special reference to environmental policy.
- Meaning or denotation.
- A mention of an occurrence or situation: made frequent references to her promotion.
- A work frequently used as a source.
- A mark or footnote used to direct a reader elsewhere for additional information.
- Law Submission of a case to a referee.
- A statement about a person's qualifications, character, and dependability.
- To supply references to: "Our memories are addressed and referenced . . . by significant fragments of their own content” ( Frederick Turner).