Definitions — English
- Moral excellence and righteousness; goodness.
- An example or kind of moral excellence: the virtue of patience.
- Chastity, especially in a woman.
- A particularly efficacious, good, or beneficial quality; advantage: a plan with the virtue of being practical.
- Effective force or power: believed in the virtue of prayer.
- Christianity The fifth of the nine orders of angels in medieval angelology.
- Obsolete Manly courage; valor.
- by On the grounds or basis of; by reason of: well-off by virtue of a large inheritance.