- An interval of time characterized by the occurrence of a certain condition, event, or phenomenon: a period of economic prosperity.
- An interval of time characterized by the prevalence of a specified culture, ideology, or technology: artifacts of the pre-Columbian period.
- Any of various arbitrary units of time, especially:
- An instance or occurrence of menstruation.
- A point or portion of time at which something is ended; a completion or conclusion.
- A punctuation mark ( . ) indicating a full stop, placed at the end of declarative sentences and other statements thought to be complete, and after many abbreviations.
- A metrical unit of quantitative verse consisting of two or more cola.
- Music A group of two or more phrases within a composition, often made up of 8 or 16 measures and terminating with a cadence.
- Of, belonging to, or representing a certain historical age or time: a period piece; period furniture.