Definitions — English
- Expressing, containing, or consisting of a negation, refusal, or denial: gave a negative answer to our request. Indicating opposition or resistance: a negative reaction to the new advertising campaign.
- Lacking positive or constructive features, especially: Unpleasant; disagreeable: had a negative experience on his first job. Gloomy; pessimistic: a negative outlook. Unfavorable or detrimental: a negative review; a negative effect on the child's development. Hostile or disparaging; malicious: ran a negative campaign against her opponent.
- Philosophy Of or relating to non-being or the absence of qualities rather than being or the possession of qualities: the purely negative virtue of unselfishness.
- Mathematics Of or relating to a quantity less than zero. Of or relating to the sign (-). Of or relating to a quantity to be subtracted from another. Of or relating to a quantity, number, angle, velocity, or direction in a sense opposite to another of the same magnitude indicated or understood to be positive.
- Physics Of or relating to an electric charge of the same sign as that of an electron, indicated by the symbol (-). Of or relating to a body that has more electrons than protons.
- A statement or act that is highly critical of another or of others: campaign advertising that was based solely on negatives. Something that lacks all positive, affirmative, or encouraging features; an element that is the counterpoint of the positive:"Life is full of overwhelming odds. You can't really eliminate the negatives but you can diminish them"(Art Linkletter). A feature or characteristic that is not deemed positive, affirmative, or desirable:"As voters get to know his liberal views, his negatives will rise"(Richard M. Nixon).
- Grammar A word or part of a word, such as no, not, or non-, that indicates negation. See Usage Note at double negative.
- An image in which the light areas of the object rendered appear dark and the dark areas appear light. A film, plate, or other photographic material containing such an image.
- To deny; contradict.