Definitioner — Engelsk
- Expressing, containing, or consisting of a negation, refusal, or denial: gave a negative answer to our request.
- Mathematics Of or relating to a quantity, number, angle, velocity, or direction in a sense opposite to another of the same magnitude indicated or understood to be positive.
- Physics Of or relating to an electric charge of the same sign as that of an electron, indicated by the symbol (-).
- A statement or act that is highly critical of another or of others: campaign advertising that was based solely on negatives.
- Something that lacks all positive, affirmative, or encouraging features; an element that is the counterpoint of the positive: "Life is full of overwhelming odds. You can't really eliminate the negatives but you can diminish them” ( Art Linkletter).
- A feature or characteristic that is not deemed positive, affirmative, or desirable: "As voters get to know his liberal views, his negatives will rise” ( Richard M. Nixon).
- Grammar A word or part of a word, such as no, not, or non-, that indicates negation. See Usage Note at double negative.
- An image in which the light areas of the object rendered appear dark and the dark areas appear light.