- To be too late for or fail to meet (a train, for example).
- To fail to perceive, experience, or understand: I missed my favorite TV show last night. You completely missed the point of the film.
- To fail to accomplish or achieve: just missed setting a new record.
- To feel the lack or loss of: Do you miss your family?
- To be unsuccessful; fail: a money-making scheme that can't miss. To misfire, as an internal-combustion engine.
- A failure to be successful: The new movie was a miss.
- To fail to achieve the anticipated result.
- To fail to avail oneself of an opportunity.
- To fail to understand.
- Used in informal titles for a young woman to indicate the epitomizing of an attribute or activity: Miss Organization; Miss Opera.