Definitions — English
- A reference standard or sample used for the quantitative comparison of properties: The standard kilogram is maintained as a measure of mass.
- The act of measuring.
- An evaluation or a basis of comparison: "the final measure of the worth of a society” ( Joseph Wood Krutch). See Synonyms at standard.
- Appropriate restraint; moderation: "The union of . . . fervor with measure, passion with correctness, this surely is the ideal” ( William James).
- To estimate by evaluation or comparison: "I gave them an account . . . of the situation as far as I could measure it” ( Winston S. Churchill).
- To mark off or apportion, usually with reference to a given unit of measurement: measure out a pint of milk.
- To allot or distribute as if by measuring; mete: The revolutionary tribunal measured out harsh justice.