- Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
- Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.
- Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
- Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.
- Of, relating to, or based on the traditional arts and sciences of a college or university curriculum: a liberal education.
- Archaic Permissible or appropriate for a person of free birth; befitting a lady or gentleman.