Définitions — Anglais
- Electricity The generation of electromotive force in a closed circuit by a varying magnetic flux through the circuit.
- Electricity The charging of an isolated conducting object by momentarily grounding it while a charged body is nearby.
- Mathematics A two-part method of proving a theorem involving an integral parameter. First the theorem is verified for the smallest admissible value of the integer. Then it is proven that if the theorem is true for any value of the integer, it is true for the next greater value. The final proof contains the two parts.
- Medicine The inducing of labor, whereby labor is initiated artificially with drugs such as oxytocin.
- Medicine The administration of anesthetic agents and the establishment of a depth of anesthesia adequate for surgery.
- Biochemistry The process of initiating or increasing the production of an enzyme, as in genetic transcription.
- Embryology The process by which one part of an embryo causes adjacent tissues or parts to change form or shape, as by the diffusion of hormones or other chemicals.