definition — English
- Anatomy The chambered muscular organ in vertebrates that pumps blood received from the veins into the arteries, thereby maintaining the flow of blood through the entire circulatory system.
- The repository of one's deepest and sincerest feelings and beliefs: an appeal from the heart; a subject dear to her heart.
- The firmness of will or the callousness required to carry out an unpleasant task or responsibility: hadn't the heart to send them away without food.
- The central or innermost physical part of a place or region: the heart of the financial district. See Synonyms at center.
- Games A card game in which the object is either to avoid hearts when taking tricks or to take all the hearts.