Definisjoner — Engelsk
- An area of land designated for a particular purpose. Often used in the plural: a burial ground; parade grounds.
- The land surrounding or forming part of a house or another building. Often used in the plural: a guesthouse on the grounds of the mansion.
- An area or a position that is contested in or as if in battle: The soldiers held their ground against the enemy. Character witnesses helped the defendant stand her ground in the trial.
- Something that serves as a foundation or means of attachment for something else: a ground of white paint under the mural.
- The underlying condition prompting an action; a cause. Often used in the plural: grounds for suspicion; a ground for divorce. See Synonyms at base1.
- Electricity A large conducting body, such as the earth or an electric circuit connected to the earth, used as an arbitrary zero of potential.
- Electricity A conducting object, such as a wire, that is connected to such a position of zero potential.
- Football To throw (a ball) to the ground in order to stop play and avoid being tackled behind the line of scrimmage.