- Mathematics The operation of determining how many times one quantity is contained in another; the inverse of multiplication.
- The proportional distribution of a quantity or entity.
- An area of government or corporate activity organized as an administrative or functional unit.
- A territorial section marked off for political or governmental purposes.
- Botany The highest taxonomic category, consisting of one or more related classes, and corresponding approximately to a phylum in zoological classification. See Table at taxonomy.
- A category created for purposes of competition, as in boxing.
- Variance of opinion; disagreement.
- The physical separation and regrouping of members of a parliament according to their stand on an issue put to vote.