Definitions — English
- Tightly stretched; taut. See Synonyms at stiff, tight.
- In a state of mental or nervous tension.
- Characterized by nervous tension or suspense.
- Linguistics Enunciated with taut muscles, as the sound (ē) in keen.
- To make or become tense.
- Any one of the inflected forms in the conjugation of a verb that indicates the time, such as past, present, or future, as well as the continuance or completion of the action or state.
- A set of tense forms indicating a particular time: the future tense.