- A secondary outgrowth or subdivision of a main axis, such as the tine of a deer's antlers.
- A limited part of a larger or more complex unit or system, especially:
- An area of specialized skill or knowledge, especially academic or vocational, that is related to but separate from other areas: the judicial branch of government; the branch of medicine called neurology.
- A division of a business or other organization.
- A division of a family, categorized by descent from a particular ancestor.
- Linguistics A subdivision of a family of languages, such as the Germanic branch of Indo-European.
- A divergent section of a river, especially near the mouth.
- Mathematics A part of a curve that is separated, as by discontinuities or extreme points.
- Computer Science A sequence of program instructions to which the normal sequence of instructions relinquishes control, depending on the value of certain variables.