Definitions — English
- A hall, foyer, or waiting room at or near the entrance to a building, such as a hotel or theater.
- A public room next to the assembly chamber of a legislative body.
- A group of persons engaged in trying to influence legislators or other public officials in favor of a specific cause: the banking lobby; the labor lobby.
- To try to influence the thinking of legislators or other public officials for or against a specific cause: lobbying for stronger environmental safeguards; lobbied against the proliferation of nuclear arms.
- To try to influence public officials on behalf of or against (proposed legislation, for example): lobbied the bill through Congress; lobbied the bill to a negative vote.
- To try to influence (an official) to take a desired action.