Definitions — English
- Liable to occur but not with certainty; possible: "All salaries are reckoned on contingent as well as on actual services” ( Ralph Waldo Emerson).
- Dependent on conditions or occurrences not yet established; conditional: arms sales contingent on the approval of Congress. See Synonyms at dependent.
- Happening by chance or accident; fortuitous. See Synonyms at accidental.
- Logic True only under certain conditions; not necessarily or universally true: a contingent proposition.
- An event or condition that is likely but not inevitable.
- A share or quota, as of troops, contributed to a general effort.
- A representative group forming part of an assemblage.