Definitions — English
- A covering, usually of cloth, suspended over a throne or bed or held aloft on poles above an eminent person or a sacred object.
- Architecture An ornamental rooflike projection over a niche, altar, or tomb.
- A protective rooflike covering, often of canvas, mounted on a frame over a walkway or door.
- A high overarching covering, such as the sky: "I just look up at the stars and let the vastness of that black and twinkling canopy fill my soul” ( Margaret Mason).
- The uppermost layer in a forest, formed by the crowns of the trees. Also called crown canopy.
- The transparent enclosure over the cockpit of an aircraft.
- The part of a parachute that opens up to catch the air.
- To cover with or as if with a canopy.